Saturday, February 25, 2012

Life In The Fast Lane

This journey of discovery just keeps getting better and better.  It seems like yesterday that we came home but that yesterday was eighteen months ago.  The best part, as I've said many times,  about the RVing fulltime lifestyle was the people we met, the friends we made.  I have some great memories and some great friends. (You know who you are and I miss you terribly)

Little did I know the direction my life would take after coming home.  I'm proof that there is life after fulltiming.  There is a saying that goes something like, when God closes a door he opens a window.  Well, he opened a huge window for me.

After coming home I've gotten involved in my home church.  One of the ministries I get to work in is the pantry.  I've transported food from the supplier to the church, stocked the shelves in our pantry, sacked groceries,  and the greatest joy is working the day we give the food out.  The whole experience is such a blessing.

Another area that opened up in my life is Weight Watchers.  I've been a member many years and after putting down the roots again I took advantage of the opportunity to become a Leader.  I trained many years ago to be a leader but I figured out something....I needed some life experiences to be an effective leader.  Fast forward and I now lead in two classes.  One class is a traditional class and the other is an "At Work".  The traditional is ongoing and the "At Work" is a ten week program.  As I write this we have five more weeks in the "At Work".  I am blessed with some of the greatest members ever.  They all inspire me.  From last March when the traditional class started until the years end they lost just over 800 pounds.  Yes, they inspire me!!!!

While we were fulltiming and park hosting in Ridgway Colorado one day Dan came in and told me I needed to go see what Lori  (gate attendant) was doing.  I asked what she was up to....Dan said I would have to go see.  My curiosity level on a scale of 1 to 10 runs about 25 so off I went.  Turns out she was making bracelets with tiny, tiny seed beads, a wire like needle and some beading thread.  I wondered how she could do that, let alone see what she was doing.  I had been making bracelets for a number of years but nothing like that.  She set about to teach me.  She had half a bracelet made while I was struggling with a half inch.  She was so patient.  Lori, thank you!! Again....fast forward....here I am making bracelets.  I even have some in a local shop and I continue to get orders.  It's mostly word of mouth advertising...doesn't hurt that when I take some in to the shop there's someone there who sees them and puts in an order.  These bracelets are made with Miyuki Delica glass beads, known for their precision and they work up beautifully.  I find the whole process of weaving these tiny glass beads to be a tranquil, zen like experience.  I get totally lost in it. 




I made this Lilly of the Valley for my friend Peggy and it was designed by my friend Sue Jensen.  Sue, thank you!!!   Check out her work at http://sujensjewelry.com/index.html




This last bracelet is not seed beads but it was fun to make, it felt fluid like to hold.


So, with church, Weight Watchers and my beading I don't have a lot of spare time.  Any time I do have is taken with running errands and trying to keep my home functioning.  Dan had his fifth back surgery about six weeks ago and is just now able to drive and is now walking without the cane.  His full recovery will take time.   The pain this time has been intense and he has worked diligently to follow his doc's instructions.  In time he will be alright.  I believe in the power of prayer, so please keep him and his recovery in your prayers.

Now I need to do my homework for my next class and finish another bracelet.



Couldn't resist....these three went to the shop.  Can you tell it's Razorback country?

Need to get back in the fast lane....lots to do.   Happy hands.....happy heart....happy me!!!

4 comments:

Sandra said...

Good for you! I'm glad you've found life after RVing. Wish I could do the same. I tried volunteering but had a problem with plantar fascitis so had to give that up. I'm doing tai chi twice and week. I used to make some jewelry but with my cataract surgery I find it difficult to see the little holes. I need to find something to interest me!

Phillis said...

Hi Karon,
I am glad you are doing well and I hope Dan has a speedy recovery. Your bracelets are very pretty. It was nice to hear from you.

Peggy said...

Hmmmm...I posted yesterday and it disappeared. I hope this one works!

I'm so glad to see another post from you! I check your blog often, hoping to see another post :-)

I am so proud and happy to have an "original Karon" bracelet. The lilies of the valley are near and dear to my heart. I can't wait for them to pop up every spring.

I'm glad that Dan is recuperating well. I know that when you're going through something like that, you want to feel better...yesterday! Best wishes for continued success and good health.

I'm really impressed that you can work with those tiny, tiny beads and make them look so beautiful together. The patterns remind me of counted cross stitch and I know just how tedious, but beautiful that can be, too.

Love ya lots!

Phyllis said...

I was so glad to see a post from you and to read what you've gotten yourself into the last 18 months!

We had the pleasure of meeting your dear friends Ellie and Jim a little while back when we were all at Rainbow Plantation in Alabama.